Friday, January 10, 2014

ONSLAUGHT

Being a night person, 8 o'clock in the morning was much too early for me to rise, new blog posting or not. My head felt like a Santa hangover on New Year's Day, and my movements, at best, were a poor imitation of sleepwalking.

I bumped around in the bathroom like a zombie in training, then awkwardly threw on a shirt and slipped into a pair of slacks, loosing my balance several times in doing so. Then I moseyed uneasily through the private doorway into my home office, feeling like some squalid animal walking on its hind legs. None too steadily, I plopped myself down into the swivel chair at my desk and stared at the small clock perched on its rear corner. The clock was a blur, and its hands seemed to gaily dance and multiply.

Suddenly I wasn't alone. My personal secretary, Ginger --- a  petite brunet, no more than 5 foot 2, short hair, mid 50s, efficient and diligent, dressed smartly in a dark pants suit, had just entered the room through its main entrance, closing the door behind her.

"I see you're up and about, ready to go," she chirped. Her clear and dutiful voice had a ring of cheer.

"That's debatable," I challenged quietly, blinking my eyes, not facing her, still staring at the clock and asking myself, "How do the hands do that?" Then, oddly, came a striking thought. "A premonition?"

"You want breakfast?" Ginger asked, snapping me out of my strange reverie.

 I slowly swiveled around, facing her, my eyes still blinking in disorientation."What?"

"Breakfast?" she nodded.

"Uh, no...not now," I blinked. "But I desperately do need some coffee!" Amazingly, I managed to press one of the many colored buttons on my console, the special one signaling for coffee. Then struggling to appear more cognizant, I asked Ginger, "How's the Inbox?"

Ginger sighed. "The usual smorgasbord, but nothing earthshaking."

"Well, just delete the obvious garbage. I'll try and take a look at the remainder later."

"Oh, a Mr. George Knox phoned. He wants you to call him back as soon as possible."

Frowning, my blinking ceased. "Damn...as though I need that! Look, not to be unkind, "I sighed, "but if he calls again, for God's sake, don't put him through. I hate to have you do this, but tell him I'm out of town...in Europe somewhere."

"I gather you won't be calling him back."

"If you knew George, you wouldn't call him back either. That guy's impossible! He can talk nonstop...on and on and on. Continual triviality...anything that pops into his head...constantly changing the subject without ever taking a breath in between. I have too much to do today --- especially putting together a blog posting, without it being disrupted and delayed by his infernal yakking. My followers expect a timely posting...deserve it." I sighed again, the talking seemingly bringing my thoughts into focus.

"As far as that goes," I continued, "don't put any calls through to me today --- unless it's my film Producer!"

We were interrupted by a knock at the door. "Come in" I acknowledged.

The door opened. Standing there, looking quite dignified in his butler garb, was Bollero. "Your coffee, sir," he stated with stoical aplomb. In the presence of others, Bollero always addressed me as "sir." But when we were alone together, he relaxed and addressed me by my first name. Our casual pact.

As Bollero brought me my coffee in a huge cup on a silver tray, Ginger nodded and left the room. Once Bollero left, I began sipping my coffee and gazed back at the clock on my desk. It's hands had finally steadied. A good sign. Then, taking a deep breath, I got down to writing the first rough draft of my next blog posting on a legal sized pad of yellow paper. Not long into this, my console buzzed, a signal from Ginger. I pressed a console button putting Ginger on the speaker. "Yes?"

"Alexandria Altman, your movie Producer, is holding on line 2," Ginger singsonged,  a certain reedy timbre to her voice.

I pressed another console button and put Alexandria on the speaker as my coffee sipping advanced to lighting a cigarette. "Alex, delighted to hear from you. What's happening?"

"Things are moving, Griff. Your movie's pre-production is about finished, then we'll be ready for full film development. We should have you here soon." Her voice was energetic and ebullient, that Hollywood "marvelous" sound.

"About time things were moving."

 "Moving so well as to leave me in awe and speechless!"

"I can't imagine you ever speechless."

She laughed, an invigorating laugh. "I'm not speechless about  you! Being the human being you are...the finest, kindest man I know, that alone sells me. But in addition, I have your book...one of a kind...and your wonderful, perfect script, all allowing me to lift your movie up."

For a moment I was breathless, an exciting numbness.

"Must run, Griff," Alex continued. "Get on with this.But I just had to tell you. I'll be back with you soon. When this gets out, you'll be bombarded. An onslaught!"

"Onslaught! What kind of onslaught?" I was suddenly fully awake.

"People are going to be after you. Among other things, just for starters, you're going to see a mass of them come to you and ask you where they can get a copy of your book and ask for a part in your movie. And that's only the beginning."

For some reason, George Knox came to mind.

Ten minutes after Alex was off the phone, Ginger unexpectedly rushed back into the office. "Gerald," she exclaimed excitedly, "you've got to see this! An email from one of the writers, Cynthia Westland, in that Crime Fiction group.

Still grappling with what Alex had just told me, while at the same time finding it futile to focus back on my blog's rough draft, I pivoted around in my chair and shot Ginger a quizzical look. "What's so pressing about it?"

"Her review of Of Good And Evil. Just posted on Amazon. Take a look."

I pivoted back around in my chair, booted up my wireless PC, clicked Internet, then clicked Cynthia's email on the Inbox page, and intently read her review:

"Gerald G. Griffin has mastered the art of intelligent and suspenseful writing in this book. With each page, the reader is informed, challenged captivated and finally obsessed with this story of love, honor, evil and political tumult.

"Exquisitely crafted, Griffin weaves a gripping tale of Captain Ron Sheffield's quest for redemption and purpose, while battling his personal demons. The love story of the beautiful and mysterious Amber Ash and Captain Sheffield is poignant, sensual, strong, and is an integral part of the novel, making the book equally appealing to both men and women.

"The fast pace and suspense of the novel kept me engaged from beginning to end. One of the best reads of the year, Of Good And Evil has all the elements of a best seller, and more. A true masterpiece!"

"Wow!" I enthused, my eyes dancing and multiplying as the clock hands had done earlier. "Succinct but powerful...and to the point!"

"That should keep the 'Buy the Latest Book!' box at the top of  your blog page busy," Ginger smiled cheerfully.

"Yes," I agreed quietly. "Let the onslaught begin."

OF GOOD AND EVIL can be ordered by clicking http://www.amazon.com/dp/160976014X . Put this link on your browser.


36 comments:

  1. Oh my,
    You are quite talented with words! Amazing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Just a harbinger of the amazement to be found in my book.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gerald, Shane Porteous here. I have a feeling you are going to be like the 300 spartans at Thermopylae, trying to withstand an attack by a countless horde, Because that is how many new readers your brilliant book is surely to have soon. You deserve my friend, ready your shield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shane, so nice to hear from you. My shield's at the ready, and I'm certainly thankful you're a spartan who will be there with me.

      Delete
    2. Superb; the mental image I get from this is vivid. I "see" a detailed vision here, and it isn't even the book itself! My mornings usually just deteriorate from that point, ha ha. I'm on a fixed income, and must budget accordingly, but I'll be shopping at Amazon in the near future! You've got a way with words my friend; a picture painted with them is something to behold.

      Delete
    3. Your comments are deeply appreciated, Greg. Wow..."Superb...vivid...something to behold." If those are your feelings, my book is definitely for you!

      Delete
    4. Shane, let me congratulate you on being a participant in the fabulous anthology of amazing fantasy stories, NINE HEROES: TALES of HEROIC FANTASY, this collection a captivating read from beginning to end. I see you've added your magic touch and dynamic mood to the collection with an astounding tale of invigorating wonderment! Keep the magic going as you did here and in your bewitching fantasy books "Rasciss" and "How Gods Bleed."

      Delete
    5. Thanks my friend, I loved working on! A toast to both of our successes!

      Delete
    6. Amen, Shane. Yes, a welcomed toast to our diligent work and the fond remembraces associated with it.

      Delete
  3. Gerald, as always you paint a vivid and captivating portrait with your words. Having been privileged to read your excellent novel "Of Good And Evil" some time ago I now look forward with much anticipation to seeing your genius come to the big screen. All of your successes are more than well deserved as you are not only an incredibly talented writer but a genuinely nice man I feel proud to know.

    Congratulations and prepare for the richly deserved onslaught :)
    Cheers,
    Tracey Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, so good hearing from you. I'm happy you enjoyed the posting, and thank you for your congrats and kind words about my work as well as your gracious references to myself. In turn, I feel proud to know you. You're a great boost for the onslaught!

      Delete
  4. This really held my attention which is not easily done. Visualization was excellent. Believe me! I think I may have to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted this posting held your attention, Pamela, and thank you for your "excellent" comment. By all means, read the book! It will hold your attention as well.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant... and funny... as usual. I applaud you. Charol Messenger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Charol, so heart warming to receive your continued applause. I bow to you gracefully, with humble thanks.

      Delete
  6. Gerald, your new post is fabulous but then, you never disappoint. You inspire me to continue posting on my blog, which I have abandoned to complete my newest crime fiction sequel. Thank you for the mention in your post. I am always happy to read superior novels and anxiously await the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cupcake, my benevoleni goddess, I so value your comments with a special warmness, Your gracious words are taken to heart, stirring with a keen appreciation for their expression and sharing. Delighted to be of humble service in inspiring you to continue your own blog postings, and I wish you deserving success with your crime fiction sequel. You have a way with words yourself, Cynthia, and so happy to have them appear in my posting. Thanks to your thanks!

      Delete
  7. My darling Gerry, sweetheart---

    You are nothing short of fabulous. You have aroused me to the point that I must partake of you by appearing in the movie.

    Now the very best role is the one where the bad guy---hey, I forget the names of my own characters, so don't expect me to remember yours---but, honey, I remember the characters themselves, so as I was saying, the very best role in your movie has to be the thug that beats the living ship out of the hero---you know, so much living anything that everyone believes he's dead.

    As I thought about that fantastically written part, sugarplum, I wanted it. I wanted it. I wanted it.

    But shucks, beautiful desert flower, I'd have to roll over your major character a thousand times in my wheelchair to make him look that dead. The movie moguls probably wouldn't want to take that long with so much repetitious movement for a scene. So I just gave it up.

    But how about the mob boss? Now there's a part built just for me. I have that suave deadly manner, don't you know, candy, that I'd fit right in. The only problem with that role is that if you're any good, you'll get type cast.Look at what happened to Jimmy Cagney. Beautiful song and dance man (like me before the barracuda incident) suddenly thrust into the tough man character roles forever just because of one brilliant performance. No. No type casting for me. Sugar, I don't want to limit possibilities in future films.

    Wheelchair and Doctor Gillespie played by Lionel Barrymore go together like mustard and ice cream. The doctor who basically pronounced the protagonist dead only to be confabulated when the damsel in the story brought him to life through a simple touch. Nice role. Maybe I'll consider that one, but I hate to play the role of an ignorant fool, don't you agree Gerry baby?

    But I'm running out of possibilities. Perhaps I could have my stump made up to look like a blown-off foot. Put me into a sergeant's uniform and I could make the speech that brings a measure of sanity back to the protagonist. Wait a minute. I'm too fat to play the role of that heroic ghost. I just couldn't do that one, could I sweetie pie?

    Oh my darling, after that magnificent novel, literature for the ages, magnificent beyond all measure, splendid in plot and characterization, showing a brilliant understanding of what service men and women face beyond the human enemy, and sweetheart, unable to decide on a role. Sugarplum you must help me. Decide on the ideal role for me, honeybun, and I will write a brilliant blurb about him so you can raise your film to greater heights by my lifting it through unbelievable emoting.

    Yours always and forever.

    I love you.

    Larry Winebrenner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. Larry, I'm smiling at your amazing literary display and truly appreciate the friendly humor of its remarkable effort and the time devoted to making it. Enjoyed it all! As for the Mafia characters, your strong masculinity should make them and the movie moguls take notice.

      Delete
  8. Gerald, what a fabulous, vividly descriptive post that drew me right into your office with you. Surely you don't mind sharing your space, just for a little while, and I'd like Bollero to bring me a cup of coffee, please. Sigh. If only Hollywood would call me and hang on my every word as they are doing with you... If you need any help bearing up under the onslaught, I'm here for you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join the gang, Dakota, my dear friend. The office is becoming full fast --- those there receiving instructions on how to handle the onslaught, and you're most welcome to join them with your wizardry. Bollero is already brewing the coffee and would be most delighted to serve it to you in the splendid way that only he can.

      Yes, a lot of sighing going on. If only Hollywood did hang on my every word.

      Delete
  9. The book sounds wonderful, Gerald. And the movie is sure to be a hit. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. Hope you enjoy the novel. We're couting on its movie being a hit. Kudos in return.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful entry! Sounds a lot like the way I start my mornings, too, short one petite brunette and a butler (although my writing partner is a petite blonde, but never behind me first thing in the morning!). Wouldn't mind having an office staff arrangement like that if our books get picked up for movies! ~Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my entry, Jack. So you're a night person as well. Give my regards to your blonde writing partner. Patience. Your office staff will come along. In the meanwhile, Bollero says he'd be delighted to serve you coffee anytime. He's gracous like that. Just let him how much sugar and cream you want, if any. I'm rooting for the movie of one of your books! ~ Gerald

      Delete
  11. Well, what an intriguing post. Should I wait for the movie?
    Anyway, it was well written, and I almost saw myself in that office with you (I can see the arms of the clock dancing too sometimes...)
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jade, don't wait for the movie. Read the book first! It will be impossible for the movie to present the scope, soul and depth of the story as well as the book does.

      Yes, the arms of that clock are quite the dancers, tango and all. Perhaps a tour of the office can be arranged for you, highlighted by Bollero serving you a cup of his splendid coffee.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lisa. Glad you enjoyed the post. You should enjoy the book and movie as well.

      Delete
  13. I want a butler...and a clock with dancing hands, but only if they dance backwards to give me more time...Now will you be my groupie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, the butler is certainly drawing a lot of attenton here. But Bollero loves the fanfare. Says he'll serve you coffee anytime, Cathy. As for the hands dancing backwards, I've never seen that, but, for you, I'll see if Bollero can come up with something. He likes messing around with gadgets, especially a challenging one.

      Yes, Cathy, I wll be your groupie. Bollero insists! Keep smiling. Your success at the conference is in the bag --- assuming, of course, that you read my book. The movie is optional.

      Delete
  14. WHAT???

    Still JAN 2014?? Come on now Gerald, we need more interaction with you here on your blog! LOL... Don't make me have to Book Promote for you... :-)

    Blog once a week so your READERS like me have something to come back my good friend :-) I'm always interested in what you share XO

    Author, Catherine Lyon & Lyon Media & Book Promotions :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, thanks for your splendid review and your marvelous cheerleading for me, and your reminder about keeping up the interaction with my fabulous followers! I presently have a lot on my plate --- including involvement with my movie --- and I'm really pressed for time to do justice to it all.

      However, I'll take the time for my deserving followers. I'm thinking of my next post right now, and hopefully it will be up soon!

      Again, thanks for th reminder. Boy, it seems that time just flies by!

      Delete