Saturday, November 30, 2013

MOVIE AUDITIONS for Of Good And Evil

It was quiet, the enigmatic hush in the room making my return seem somewhat eerie. Though it was the holiday season, I felt like some phantom who had loomed in from outside through a strange morning mist.

My odd mood was interrupted by an expected knock on the study door. "Coffee, sir," came a stiff, masculine voice on the other side.

"Come in."

The door opened and a tall, beefy man, late 50s, dressed smartly in butler's livery, entered the room carrying a silver tray with an over sized coffee cup placed neatly in its center.

"Ah, thank you, Morris," I managed to smile. "I think I'm going to need this potent brew. Just set it down here."

"Very good, sir."

Maintaining his aplomb as he approached me, the butler set the tray on the edge of my desk. Then in a gravelly voice, he deadpanned cheerlessly but politely, never losing stride in his well-mannered behavior, "Sorry, sir, I'm not Morris. The name is Bollero."

My smile disappeared, my mind off the coffee. "Bollero?!" I looked at him quizzically, the eerie feeling resurfacing. I swear you're a dead ringer for Morris. You're not a ghost, are you?

"I beg your pardon, sir?"

I wondered if it was against Bollero's nature ever to smile. "Never mind. What happened to Morris?"

The wrinkles appeared to tighten in Bollero's face. "He left many months ago. You've been absent from blogging for such a  long a time --- I believe your last full blog post was June 12, 2012, that it was more than he could endure. He...well, became fed up and left, if you can pardon my frankness, sir."

"Fed up?!" I grimaced with a disbelieving air. "For crying out loud! You know where he is?"

"Not my business, sir, but I expect he's associated with other blogs. Those that blog on a regular basis."

"He'll come scampering back. Few blogs can match this one."

"Yes, if your blog posts were not so far in between, sir. That is the problem!" Bollero's thick eyebrows jumped in reprimand. "Even the blog followers are on the verge of revolt, demanding more frequent posts. There's a huge collection of complaint emails...even a few letters. Very nasty, if I may say so, sir."

"You've read them?"

Bollero shrugged his hefty shoulders. "Beats the boredom in your absence, sir."

"Well, as you can see, I'm absent no longer. I'm back! A short break from this hectic movie business and book marketing madness."

Bollero's dark, gloomy eyes finally displayed a hint of cheer. "May I assume, sir, that you will finally be making another blog posting?"

"Yes. Maybe a biggie!"

It was as if this was too much for Bollero to contain, forcing his eyes to sparkle as he was overwhelmed by an uncontrollable rush of excitement. Momentarily, he was lost for words. But he needed some expressive release, so said in a more genial manner, "Sir, your coffee. It will become cold."

I immediately picked up the cup and took a sip. "Ahhh," I savored. "Tastes heavenly!"  As requested, the coffee was blended with brandy. "Thank you Bollero. You've earned your keep." A faint smile softened Bollero's features. "So enough of this "sir" business. From now on, address me as Gerald."

Bollero fought the idea of such familiarity, but lost the fight. As I sipped the coffee, he replied, "Yes si...uh, Gerald." It was slowly dawning on him that our relationship was changing. Emboldened by this realization, he asked, "May I inquire as to the substance of your new posting?"

"Auditions!"

Bollero hesitated, furrowing his brows in confusion. "Gerald, what does that mean?"

"Simple. I'm going to invite the readers to audition for roles in the Of Good And Evil movie. Not the major characters, you understand...such as Ron Sheffield...Amber Ash...Jonathan Ash...Drew Vandiver...Dominick Valenti...Rachael Di Salvo and such --- those roles are reserved for the big name actors."

I paused a moment for more coffee sipping, then lit a cigarette. "But you see, "I hastily continued, "there are plenty of minor characters who the readers can choose to audition for, roles I can have an influence with --- Mafia...nurses...doctors...villa staff...government people...people at fashionable parties...FBI agents...terrorists...secret society members. The list goes on. A cast of hundreds."

"I know," Bollero readily interjected. "I've read the book in your absence. Several times. Fantastic story!" His eyes actually beamed, relaxing further his guarded composure.

I knew there was something behind his ostensible praise. "What do you want?" I calmly asked.

"I want to audition for the villa butler," he answered excitedly. "Where do I sign up?"

"Right here. On this blog posting."

"Then I'm home free!" Bollero was outright jovial.

"Not so fast," I quickly cautioned. "You'll have to do what is required of all the readers before they can request an audition."

"Like what?"

"Like, first, reading the book. How else can the reader come to know the characters and get a feel for which character best suits his or her audition preference?"

"But I've read the book, so surely, Gerald, you'll select me to play the butler. I want that role! The acting will come so naturally, be so realistic!"

"Now, now, Bollero. No favoritism. Others may want the role of  that butler."

"How do you know the others you mention will read the book?"

"We'll have to see that they do...at least give them the chance. For those who haven't read the book, and who wish to do so for the auditions, they can obtain a copy Of Good And Evil by clicking the "Buy the Latest Book!" box at the top of where this posting appears, the HOME page, and simply follow the clear and easy instructions popping up that will take one directly to the novel's page at another site where the thriller can be ordered."

Bollero smiled impressively. "Fine. Help them. See what good it does. No one can beat me in the role for the butler!" Bollero smirked.

"There's more to the requirements.!

"Now what?"

I leisurely sipped more coffee, then enjoyed a long puff of my cigarette, slowly exhaling smoke rings upwards, their circles hanging indifferently in the air as I stated emphatically, "Each request, including yours, my confident one, must be accompanied by a narrative, as brief as possible, stating what there is you like about the character you've selected to audition for, and why you feel you're suited to portray the character in a movie."

Bollero smiled more confidently. "No problem."

Downing the remainder of my coffee and dashing out my cigarette in an ashtray, I added, "These requests are to be submitted as a comment to my new posting here and, at the end of each request, an email address must be provided, the means by which, if I accept the request for person-to-person audition consideration, I can contact the party and we proceed from there. Requests must be submitted no later than March 1, 2014.

"There you have it: read the book; select a character and state your case for playing the character's role; and submit your audition request as a comment, with email address."

"Easy requirements to meet," Bollero enthused ecstatically.

"Okay. As a movie director would say, 'That's a wrap'. Now I'll arrange the new posting." With a wink, I said to Bollero, "You can help, and with your help, who's to say ---"

"Awwriiight!" Bollero shouted lustily, hitting my hand in a rowdy, high-five salute. "I play the movie butler!...Say, more coffee, Gerald?"

"Why, yes. Thank you, Bollero."

Bollero laughed. Then he began shaking up and down, the laughter quickly elevating to hilarity. His laughter subsiding, he turned and grinned foolishly, gleefully, and did a hop and a skip to a little jig and sang merrily, "The butler's mine...so divine...leaving me so fine..."

Bollero's transformation was eerie. But that's the movie business. Intoxicating!

Let the auditions begin!


38 comments:

  1. This was delightful. I love seeing the date. I also love how you lead into buying your book for all the wannabe actors out there. If I were an Actor I would go with either an FBI agent or a terrorist. The least stretch would be the Fashionable Party Goer.Job well done Gerald
    Happy Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) (looked it up)
    Hugs Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi, but aren't you a wannabe? You wouldn't make it as a FBI agent --- they're all males. But a terrorist, now that's another matter. There's a couple of female terrorists, one rather brilliant, head of an undercover cell. Might fit you to a tee. Why not get a copy of the book, read about this character, and send me an audition request (adhering to the requirements) and let's take it from there.

      Delete
  2. I know many actors. What is the age of the female terrorist? Are the audition requirements in your book? If so, I applaud on this marketing technique. We have to be one step ahead in this business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you inquiry, Francis. The head female terrorist, Ivy Snow, is in her mid-30s; the other female terorist, Monica Wexler, is in her early 30s. They're accompanied by a male terrorist, Lionel O'Connor, about 30. All three comprise one undercover domestic cell prime to strike on higher command.

      No, the audition reqirements are not in the book. The initial ones are right here in this posting, to be more explicit upon a favorable judgment by me of an audition request.


      Delete
  3. Gerald, you do an outstanding job on your blog. I enjoy your method and your genre, this is great work and your talent shines. Keep on keeping on and we will all benefit from your effort.
    Doc Briggs: Author and Director of "Just Another Nobody"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate your uplifting comments, Doc. Coming from you, I'm honored. I wish you great success with your movie, the title of which applies to most of us, so should draw empathic if not fascinating attention.

    I'll keep on keeping on. Perhaps some of your cast would like to audition with a request here, after your film is finished, of course. :) There's room for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I admire a discerning man! Thanks, Hal. May the cattle come running!

      Delete
  6. I agree. This is a marketing tactic that would not have occurred to me. However...I like it! It's a win-win all the way around. Where is the movie being filmed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat a win-win, Pam. Bollero prefers to refer to it as an awakening rather than a marketing tactic. Butlers are never wrong. I've found they have such savvy!

      Filming locations are yet to be determined. The scope of the book's story occurs, well, all over the place, including internationally. However, one location I'd say for sure is more the southern coast of California since important parts of the storyt ake place there.

      Delete
    2. International is GOOD! Southern Cal 'ain't' half bad either. :) How soon before filming starts, or is there a target date yet?

      Delete
  7. There is no definite target date. It has varied. There are some maters which have to be cleared up first. These things get involved, but that's normal. I expect I'll have a defnitive answer sometime early next year. Until then, I have to take care of what's not in question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the blog, Gerald! What a creative way to pull everyone - including Bolero - in! I better buckle down and read the book. :) Well done! ~ Fiola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Viola. I'm excited that you're excited! Yes, by all means, buckle down and read the book --- a gripping story! Then choose your character and request an audition here. It's fun!

      Delete
  9. Hello Gerald, Your blog is fantastic! I liked how it drew me in by the conversation regarding how to audition for your upcoming film regarding your book. I like the whole concept and it makes good sense. I will order your book, read it and then I will send you an audition request. I cannot wait to read Of Good And Evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic is as fantastic does, and Of Good And Evil does. So delighted you grasped this about the blog and book, Marvela, and I appreciate your good grasp, as I do that of others. The blog and book are for you and the others.I am heartened that you will be reading the novel, and I happily look forward to your audition request.

      Delete
  10. Brilliant, Gerald! It took me awhile to realize I was actually reading the instructions for the movie audition and not an excerpt from one of your works. Very entertaining. But I have a thought. You mentioned to Heidi above that she wouldn't make it as an FBI agent, that they're all males. But might it be discovered in the movie that one of the agents is a woman disguised as a man...for some reason? It could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriguing thought, Harry. It could hppen, but not in this story. When you read the book you'll see why. The two major FBI agents--- really put in a bind, are disrobed totally and tied to bed posts (a dilemma not in their training manuel) by the protagonist in his escape from capture to immediately proceed, frantically, in his impossible efforts to save a major American city from nuclear obliteration.

    Disguises would be useless here,.but not the cliff-hanging ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the old tied to the bedpost trick.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Harry, that old trick, but much preferable to the even older trick of being shot through the head with a .357 Magnum, which the agents were fearful was going to happen to them.

      Ah, the choice of tricks in the ongoing saga.

      Delete
  12. Gerald, I am awed by your talent! You have the narrative voice down pat. Your "audition" script reads just like a novel and I look forward to the movie as well. Well done! I am so glad we have crossed paths. Charol Messenger

    ReplyDelete
  13. And such lovely paths we crossed, Charol. I am in awe of your perception and vision, that which awakens the soul! A truly warm and inspirational feeling to have you aboard. The literary gods rejoice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Gerald, Shane Porteous here. You silver tongued devil you, absolutely brilliant, witty, charming and thought provoking. Just like your novel, which is one of the best books I have ever read. Simply one of the greatest paranormal thrillers out there at the moment. I cannot wait to see the movie and not that I need one, but this gives me a great excuse to read the book for about the tenth time. I salute you sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shane, for the grand endorsement. You're quite silver tongued youself, with words I couldn't possible improve upon, grasping the essence and merit of the book. For that I give you a 100 gun salute! Enjoy your tenth reading as Ron and Amber once more smile upon you in kindred spirit.

      Delete
  15. Who is a Blessed Boy then? I have no say in the casting of Joni-Pip.....I am 'allowed' to make suggestions, which fall on deaf ears.

    Enjoyed your writing! CK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining in with your comment, Carrie. As to who is a Blessed Boy, I suppose that's up to you to decide. Your suggestions, though, will not fall on deaf ears here.

      Pick your character and smile! :)

      Delete
  16. Clever, exciting blog! I've just signed up to follow, so that I don't miss any of it. Now, of course, I must procure a copy of the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cupcake, love that name! Thanks for joining in here. It's comforting that you found the blog clever and exciting, a harbinger of what awaits you in the book, only more so. After you read the book, get back with me with your character. Enjoy!

      Delete
  17. I have read your book cover to cover in one sitting, that in and of itself says something. I found the plot to be riveting and loved the noir feel throughout the story even though it is set with modern issues.
    As far as what roles I would like to audition for . . . my first choice would be Becky Vandiver. I find her spartan moments in the story to hold some importance and love that her ability to put things together feels like it is much more than just intuition. My second choice would be the momentary but strong presence of the woman that comes to collect the evidence of Masconi's demise. Thank you for the opportunity to be considered.
    Keep writing and best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aria, my delightful fan, I'm most appreciative of your best wishes for my continued writing and so pleased that you found the book's story to be riveting. Welcome to my cherished club of other satisfied readers who have expressed the same sentiment, finding the book difficult to put down.

      I'm impressed with your first character selection, for Becky is a dynamic person in her own right. This may be a problem because I think her character would be considered more than a minor role. Ah, but the second choice, we can work with that. In a way, that choice is impressive as well, and I think quite suited to you. Though the scene in which the woman appears is a short one, she makes it a powerful, moving scene, one leaving a symbolic impact! Stars have been born from minor role scenes making such impact.

      I'll be getting back with you just before the audutions are available. I already have your email address.

      Delete
  18. Wow. What a NOVEL idea. I'm in. I'll grab my copy, and thanks for the friendship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome for the friendship, Lala. Such a pleasure being your friend! And thanks for grabbing a copy of my novel and becoming a welcomed fan! Now, as you read the thriller, if you find a minor role you feel you'd like to audtion for, please get back with me.

      Delete
  19. Gerald, your new post is fabulous but then, you never disappoint. You inspire me to continue posting on my blog, which I have abandoned to complete my newest crime fiction sequel. Thank you for the mention in your post. I am always happy to read superior novels and anxiously await the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cupcake, so happy to be an inspiration for your blog, and I'm so deeply appreciative that you feel my new posting, ONSLAUGHT,is fabulous. Delighted to include you in it. And thank you too, for feeling Of Good And Evil is a superior novel. I certainly wish you great success with your newest crime fiction sequel and, like you, I excitedly wait the movie based upon my novel. Glad you're a part of all of it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gerald for an example of a different approach for using a blog to invite the readers to apply for the "minor" role in the movie. And how many readers have replied right away! This is what I read somewhere in the promotional literature they call it as "thinking outside the box."

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Olga, for your acute perception. I try to "think outside the box." Thinking inside it becomes so routine and, at times, rather tiring and boring. I think readers appreciate more creativity.
      That's my feedback.

      Delete
  20. Adored the post but found myself wanting to insert the title of my book and have a producer named Alex call me up about how perfect my book/script was. Way to go on conjuring up a fabulous scenario! Hope it's all true :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, so delighted you adored my "fabulous scenario," especially coming from you. I'd be honored if you read the book and become a cherished fan! As for a producer named Alex calling you, let's see what destiny holds. Maybe another flight where another wise-guy attendant doesn't believe you.

      If you adored this post, I'm sure you'll adore the most recent post just preceding it, Onslaught. If you care to, you can leave a comment there as well. Love your comments!

      Delete